Re: [dev] Lightweight, non-bloated, fast image viewer?

From: FRIGN <dev_AT_frign.de>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2014 10:37:12 +0200

On Sat, 14 Jun 2014 08:54:04 +0200
patrick295767 patrick295767 <patrick295767_AT_gmail.com> wrote:

Hey Pat,

I don't know qiv and sxiv very well, so I'll just stay with feh here.

> In my opinion, feh should be modified and cut down in terms of dependencies.

To be fair, the feh-developers did a remarkable job on their software
and there are not many reasons not to call it suckless.
Just like our project surf, feh suffers from the mainstream of
suckness. As you may know, imlib has been occupied by Gnome, and
Gnome-projects mostly suck.
Moreover, feh is built on Xlibs, which isn't an issue now, but could be
in the future.
Now, here's the deal:
I think the way to go with an image-viewer is to implement it in
OpenGL ES without the imlib-layer.
I am not a GL-guru, but there are tons of resources on the web on how
to draw png[0], webp[1] and others to a GL-texture using the native
libraries (libpng, libwebp, ...). And I found those links after a very
short search.
We can definitely profit here from the relevance of texture-formats in
3D-Graphics-development.

Everything else (EXIF, meta, ...) would be another matter of discussion
not really related to the more important render-stuff. I use exiftags
if I need the information, so I don't see any need for that in an
image-viewer, especially as we would want to do it as lightweight as
possible.

Let me know what you think.

Cheers

FRIGN