Re: [dev] reboot, arrow in the knee because of the GNU GPL???

From: Sylvain BERTRAND <sylware_AT_legeek.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2014 06:29:51 +0200

On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 09:32:33PM -0600, Anthony J. Bentley wrote:
> Sylvain BERTRAND writes:
>> I firmely disagree with you on this: the event of somebody hurt
>> by the GNU GPL with real life facts is of highest importance for
>> all open source coders. And communication would have been
>> an enrichment for the suckless community.
>> The thread will die because I think those facts do not exist.
>
> You have already been provided with the classical case, which you immediately
> dismissed as "biased", no reason given. Other real-world examples, like the
> gratuitous incompatibility of different GPL versions as in LibreDWG or Samba,
> have been brought up on this list in previous discussions.

I heard about GNU GPL version wars, was only aware of the benign
Linus T. one.

Let me laught:
Do you really think a GNU GPL version war can reasonnably
compensate the defect of code closing from MIT/BSD-like licenses.
I'm not weak/stupid enough to let go the advantages of the
protection of the GNU GPL for that. Please!

I know what's the most important: protection against code closing.

(Hey! I'm not going to stop driving a car because there are accidents)

How can I get my hands on the libreDWG and Samba cases? Google?
Suckless mailing list archive?

--
Sylvain