Re: [dev][libsl] Naming scheme

From: Anselm R Garbe <garbeam_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2014 09:40:46 +0200

Hi Lee,

On 8 July 2014 00:29, Lee Fallat <ircsurfer33_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> Any particularly good reason why certain names are missing vowels and
> consonants arbitrarily? For example, Fnt vs Font, Drw vs Draw and Cur
> vs Cursor. Last I checked typing 1 more letter wasn't a big deal. The
> end result is saving 3 to 1 keystrokes all over the place. If we want
> to get mathematical about this, that's:

The main reason is consistency. Font/Cursor/Color is already taken by X.

Hence I went for Fnt, Cur and Clr -- as this also looked a bit Plan 9'ish.
The alternative DrawFont/SlFont, DrawCursor/SlCursor etc. looked quite
Java'ish...

When sticking with Fnt, Cur and Clr it appeared to me that sticking
with Draw, Extents, etc. in contrast seemed odd as well. Thus they had
to be abbreviated somehow as well.

> everything by their short forms, but others may have a hard time. Not
> only that but there are inconsistencies:
>
> drw_font_create
> drw_clr_create
> drw_font_getexts_width
>
> What happened to fnt, and extnts? Why is clr and drw the only ones abbreviated?

I agree, these decisions should be made consistent as well. Feel free
to provide a patch. I'll apply it asap.

> (I want to do some work with libsl over the next few days, but I want
> to make sure what I do will be accepted by you fine people. Sorry for
> being insane about this. AFAIK no graphical official suckless programs
> use libsl yet...)

libsl is used by dwm at least. The original plan was to incorporate it
in dmenu and st as well.

Best regards,
Anselm