Re: [dev] Plain text editor that sucks less - an alternative to VIM?

From: Silvan Jegen <s.jegen_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2014 12:57:18 +0200

On Tue, Jul 8, 2014 at 12:30 PM, Paul Onyschuk <blink_AT_bojary.koba.pl> wrote:
> On Sun, 29 Jun 2014 13:24:58 +0200
> patrick295767 wrote:
>
>> For many years I have been looking for a lightweight alternative to
>> VIM. (sthg else than Emacs, elvis, nano,... and all the billion of
>> text editor).
> [...]

I like seeing new approaches to text editing but they must be as
convenient and powerful as Vim's functionality to convince me to use
them.

> Syntax is horrible, but that isn't the point. Best example of this
> convention is probably undo. Since everything is a command and
> commands are stored in a separate sub-window, you can go as far as
> editing the command history itself. You can modify a command in the
> middle of the history.

I would argue that you can do that in Vim as well by typing q:
You can, of course, copy commands into a register and execute the
register as a macro as well.

> ^U start selection
> ^Space^Y jump to the end of paragraph
> ^X cut selection (put into clip buffer)
> ^U starting new selection
> fmt type text (command) into selection
> ^R pipe clip buffer through command specified in
> selected text

The same functionality is available in Vim and I would argue that it
is easier and faster to use.

vip select paragraph
!fmt pipe the selected text through the command after the exclamation point

Please keep the editor suggestions coming! It would be very useful for
me to have an editor that is even better than Vim.