Re: [dev] [sandy] Undo, redo and repeat

From: Rafa Garcia Gallego <rafael.garcia.gallego_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2014 19:29:11 +0200

On Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 6:10 PM, Markus Teich
<markus.teich_AT_stusta.mhn.de> wrote:
>> i never got the "." command to do much other than repeat the latest insert or
>> delete...(probably me).
> I find it quite handy as an easy way of interactive search and replace. Instead
> of „:%s/bla/blub/gc“ I can just „*“ on the word, „cw“ or „s5“ once and then hit
> „n“ and „.“ to iterate.

I too use this workflow in sandy... in a silly way. With the old bindings:

   ^S to search a regex. This sets the selection.
   ^[5 to prompt with dmenu and pipe the selection through "echo -n".
This replaces the text, keeps the selection.
   ^S to search the next occurrence, set selection.
   ^^ (that is control-6) to repeat the pipe.

Interactive search and replace!

One thing I like from sandy is that it sets the selection when finding
(instead of highlighting the term in another silly way). Maybe we can
keep this in sandy-vi, so that:

   /foo<RET>cbar<ESC>

Works as you expect, despite not being 100% vi(m) compatible. Of
course we could follow with:

   n.n.n.

Ad nauseam.