Re: [dev] Looking for simple, alpha supporting image format

From: Markus Teich <markus.teich_AT_stusta.mhn.de>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2014 17:38:21 +0200

FRIGN wrote:
> 24 bit is close to full color, however, I didn't find an exact definition of
> full color anywhere. Do you need floating point numbers to get there?

Heyho,

I don't think floats will help our cause at all. This would just use more space
(at least I haven't seen a usable 8bit floating point specification yet) and we
would probably use less of the values range. In floating point representation
when dealing with colors only [0.0, 1.0] is used.

8bit per component are sufficient for the human eye. This leads to 2 ^ (3*8) =
16.777.216 colors. Can you differentiate any pair of them I would show you?

--Markus