Re: [dev] LDAP

From: Markus Teich <markus.teich_AT_stusta.mhn.de>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2014 22:06:19 +0200

Calvin Morrison wrote:
> > I think passwd entries should suffice. The admin should not be responsible
> > for synchronizing the users files. Maybe he is so kind and offers a network
> > mount available on every server.
>
> That's just silly. Why would you be so sucky of any admin to require users to
> change passwords on 10 systems when they are all identical? This is somewhat
> of a small cluster, worker nodes, a services node, a storage node, a head node
> etc.

Heyho,

sorry if it was not clear enough. Of course I meant to include /etc/shadow or
wherever your systems store the actual passwords and every other file owned by
root. However the management of the users ${HOME}/.{gitconfig,ssh/config,bashrc}
etc. should be left to the user.

Of course you can add a sane .ssh skeleton including a freshly generated key and
host entries for every server when adding the user, but after that point I don't
think you should mess with the files actually belonging to the user.

--Markus