Re: [dev] [acmebrowse] Mouse driven interface for edbrowse

From: Paul Onyschuk <ptmelville_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2014 22:31:13 +0200

On Fri, 25 Jul 2014 11:32:01 +0200
Teodoro Santoni wrote:

> How about using empty [1] instead of tmux? It seems to me that it's
> not the right tool.

Tmux isn't a right tool. It was just under the hand and I wanted to
hammer our basics fast. I started with unix fifos, but I'm not that
familiar with plan9port and did run into some issues e.g.

        mkfifo ebin
        tail -f ebin | edbrowse
        echo "do something" > ebin

Would send EOF to edbrowse closing the pipe (tail from p9p). I'll go
slowly back to this approach. Some operations like blocking the read,
till edbrowse is done (currently tmux wait-for) are very easy to do in
rc (this isn't working script, just overview):

        echo "do something" > ebin
        sleep 60 &
        echo "!kill $apid" > ebin
        wait $apid
        cat ebout > acmein

This is even better, since there is guarantee sleep will exit after
some time.

So yes, I plan to remove dependency on tmux, but I'm looking more into
plain pipes than other approaches.

--
Paul Onyschuk