Re: [dev] xscreenshot(1) using suckless image format

From: Wolfgang Corcoran-Mathe <first.lord.of.teal_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2014 17:16:14 -0400

Quoth Dimitris Papastamos on Mon, Jul 28 2014 15:14 +0100:
> Hiltjo Posthuma wrote xscreenshot[0] which basically generates
> an if on stdout. The imagefile[1] tools can be used to convert
> the if to png using if2png (thanks FRIGN!).

This is a very useful tool, and imagefile looks like a great format.
Thanks very much to everyone involved.

I have a question about scripting xscreenshot and other applications
that operate on X window ids:

Is there a reliable way to get the X id of a window in a shell
script? This seems basic, but I could not find a way to do this that
works for all windows. Digging around in the output of `xprop -root`
as in [0] looks far too ugly, to me, to be the right thing.

Thanks,

--
Wolfgang Corcoran-Mathe
[0] http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2250757/is-there-a-linux-command-to-determine-the-window-ids-associated-with-a-given-pro