Re: [dev] [website] [proposal] Add suckless logo and minor style change

From: Anselm R Garbe <garbeam_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2015 21:12:07 +0100

On 3 February 2015 at 10:07, Markus Teich <markus.teich_AT_stusta.mhn.de> wrote:
> Anselm R Garbe wrote:
>> Well executing swerc for each request is still overhead. But for the sake of
>> not doing weirdo stuff (like hiding .html or redirecting from previously known
>> URL to some .html file) in order to keep all the links to suckless.org intact,
>> I'm not inclined to disable the swerc approach atm.
>
> Most static site generators I've seen just use the approach, that every folder
> has a index.html, so that http://st.suckless.org/patches/ dispalys the
> st.suckless.org/patches/index.html file. I'm not that much into web stuff to
> know if that is called „.html hiding“ or what the disadvantages would be.
> However I know that it would allow for keeping all current links intact.

This is only true for directories, but not for leafs. Take

 http://sta.li/faq

for instance, the generator would need to transform xxx.md inputs into
xxx outputs and the webserver would need to treat all suffix-less
files as text/html mimetype.

I'm not saying it is impossible, but it is a bit awkward just for the
sake of a static generator whilst keeping all URLs intact.

I'd rather be inclined to rewrite swerc as quark-addon, but in order
to perform a full quark-switch, we'd rather need adequate HTTP POST
support -- which is quite a mess, because all kinds of weirdo
multipart mime encodings have to be decoded then... (reason for HTTP
POST support is serving cgit for example). I'd really like to get rid
of the lighttpd.

Best regards,
-Anselm