[dev] [dwm] Sporadic freezing

From: Eric Pruitt <eric.pruitt_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2015 20:07:09 -0800

I've been having sporadic issues with dwm where after interacting with
some windows, often after moving or resizing them, dwm (or X11?) stops
recognizing input. It doesn't seem that dwm is completely frozen -- my
clock, which is updated with watch(1) and xsetroot(1), continues to
update as expected, and I can move my mouse, but I am unable to type,
get a response from clicking on any of the windows, and none of my dwm
shortcut combinations work. I compiled dwm with debugging symbols, and
when I attached with gdb during this frozen state and set a breakpoint
for the grabkeys function, it was never reached. I am not able to
consistently replicate the problem which makes debugging it harder.

I encounter this problem most often with Pidgin and transmission-gtk. In
fact, off the top of my head, I can't think of any other programs I've
had this issue with, but at the same time, I also don't use a lot of GUI
apps.

Has anyone encountered any similar issues?

Eric