[dev] Re: [dwm] Sporadic freezing

From: Eric Pruitt <eric.pruitt_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2015 12:00:03 -0800

On Sun, Feb 15, 2015 at 08:07:09PM -0800, Eric Pruitt wrote:
> I am not able to consistently replicate the problem which makes
> debugging it harder.
>
> I encounter this problem most often with Pidgin and transmission-gtk.

I figured out how to consistently replicate the problem using Pidgin.

1. Have the Pidgin buddy list open
2. Right click on a buddy then select "View Log." This should open the
   log selection box as a floating window.
3. Double click on the buddy so that a chat window pops up.
4. Attempt to alt-click+drag the floating window at which point the
   freeze occurs.

After that, I was able to narrow down the problem to a patch I wrote
that allows you to adjust attachment semantics by specifying numerical
priorities as part of the window rules to ensure certain windows are
always attached before or after others in the list linked.

Eric