Re: [dev] [surf] [patch] 13 patches from my Universal Same-Origin Policy branch

From: Ben Woolley <tautolog_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2015 21:31:33 -0700

Hi noname,

On 3/29/15, noname_AT_inventati.org <noname_AT_inventati.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 29, 2015 at 09:58:42PM +0200, Markus Teich wrote:
>> even then you are still in the anonymity set of „Hey look, that guy want's
>> to be
>> anonymous, let's focus our effort on him!“.
>
> Think again. Advertisers focus on people who would click on
> advertisements, not the guys pretending to be paranoid, using Tor etc.
> And NSA tracking you using UA is ridiculous.

Advertisers usually only focus on clicks when clicks lead to immediate
purchases. Otherwise, the sales "funnel" is through other "channels",
and branding is the most important thing. The big money is in
branding. In that case, nearly every case, targeting is more important
than whether you click. And I am sure someone is selling Tor user
traffic for a decent profit.

If targeting is dramatically affected, the industry will be
dramatically affected. That is why the other browser/ad vendors are
not moving on resolving cookie issues, and are hedging a lot on
browser profiling.

Ben