Re: [dev] [surf] [patch] 13 patches from my Universal Same-Origin Policy branch

From: <noname_AT_inventati.org>
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2015 20:52:17 +0000

On Sun, Mar 29, 2015 at 09:58:42PM +0200, Markus Teich wrote:
> even then you are still in the anonymity set of „Hey look, that guy want's to be
> anonymous, let's focus our effort on him!“.

Think again. Advertisers focus on people who would click on
advertisements, not the guys pretending to be paranoid, using Tor etc.
And NSA tracking you using UA is ridiculous.

> The really long term solution would
> imho be to establish web standards which forbid such identifying information
> leakage by default. There should be no need for a UA and OS/language information
> should only be submitted to servers on an opt-in basis. Unfortunately regular
> users cannot be fixed and therefore this has to be enforced by a more powerfull
> gremium imho.

So far these efforts resulted in a funny DNT: 1 header.

> In the meantime the best compromise is to follow the largest group
> of regular users and pretend to be one of them.

You have just repeated what was said before.

There are 4 options now:
1. Set UA to the most popular value.
2. Do not send UA
3. Start a holywar