Re: [dev] books that rock

From: Wolfgang Corcoran-Mathe <first.lord.of.teal_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2015 12:07:08 -0400

FRIGN,

Quoth FRIGN on Sat, Apr 25 2015 09:30 +0200:
> > if people mention books like The Unix Programming
> > Environment at all, it is for historical interest.
>
> maybe I misunderstood this paragraph, but "The Unix Programming
> Environment" is _the_ book for every ongoing unix programmer.

My point exactly. It is a fantastic book. More people should read
it instead of, say, "Beginning Ubuntu Linux"--which is exactly the
kind of book that fashion-obsessed *nix blogs mention.

"One touch of nature makes the whole world kin,
That all with one consent praise new-born gawds,
Though they are made and moulded of things past,
And give to dust that is a little gilt
More laud than gilt o'er-dusted."

Shakespeare would have understood the situation.

> I'd not be opposed to a suckless bookshelf in the "Rocks" section.
> However, due to limited time, I would not start a list of books
> in the "Sucks" section if I were you.

That would be fun to read, but mainly "preaching to the choir".
Anyone who gets why K & R is a good book probably does not need to
be told why "l33t Java Hacks" is not.

--
Wolfgang Corcoran-Mathe