Re: [dev] RSS

From: Christoph Lohmann <20h_AT_r-36.net>
Date: Sun, 10 May 2015 16:21:32 +0200

Greetings.

On Sun, 10 May 2015 16:21:32 +0200 Jochen Sprickerhof <dwm_AT_jochen.sprickerhof.de> wrote:
> Hi Alex,
>
> * Alexander Huemer <alexander.huemer_AT_xx.vu> [2015-05-07 16:19]:
> > P.S.: Maybe there is some other nice feed reader out there that I don't
> > know about. tt-rss, miniflux and all the others are monsters
> > unfortunately.
>
> I had the same thoughts last week and implemented my own rss2maildir
> script. The idea is to have a maildir which could be synced to a
> smartphone or read in mutt. All feed are ordered chronologically, new
> entries are new mails and I can flag mails, which I still want to read.
> I've implemented a prototype in Python (yes, I know) and would happily
> share it, if someone is interested.

at [0] is what I am using for reading RSS/Atom feeds. I did my own im‐
plementation in Python because the other feedparsers are all doing too
much whistling and bell ringing. Just compare how I’m parsing the feeds
and what hacks others try to use.

There’s also the reason why it will stay in Python. With changing stan‐
dards and more dependencies on high‐level evaluation C isn’t fast enough
to adapt. Just keep the interfaces of your Python modules simple.

I am currently adding some converter scripts to Zeitungsschau because it
seems like there are still non‐converts to Atom.

It’s something I want to talk about at slcon this year, about a suckless
Python project.

Sincerely,

Christoph Lohmann

[0] http://git.r-36.net/zs/