Re: [dev] bluetooth without Python

From: Bobby Powers <bobbypowers_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2015 09:49:13 -0400

Hello,

Pat wrote:
> I would like to install bluetooth in a lightweight maneer.
>
> Under Debian, would you know if it is possible to install bluetooth
> without installing Python?
>
> bluetooth file <-> transfert works with python installed.

The Linux Bluetooth stack is called BlueZ, and doesn't depend on Python.

On Debian you can install libbluetooth-dev to do Bluetooth development
in C. Some discussion of Bluetooth programming in C is here:
https://people.csail.mit.edu/albert/bluez-intro/c404.html

You may also need the helper programs located in the bluez package -
that pulls in DBus + Glib. Not sure.

My own limited experience is that bluez has an alright API for
traditional bluetooth devices, but is sort of crap when it comes to
Bluetooth LE.

hope that helps.

yours,
Bobby