Re: [dev] Stali RC

From: Richard <r_j_humphreys_AT_yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2015 14:21:57 +0000 (UTC)

----- Original Message -----

> From: Dimitris Papastamos <sin_AT_2f30.org>

> As it stands, there is a lot of work to be done on stali. Do not
> expect it to just work. If you want to help, then send some patches
> to hackers_AT_ for consideration.

Actually, having set my expectations very low, I am finding that it works surprisingly well. Having played and poked around in the OS for a few hours this has lead to yet more questions:

- do we install a pager? I've look in bin for more/less/pg etc. Are there any plans for a pager? I looked in the TODO documents for both sbase and ubase but did not notice any.

- am I correct in thinking that we install manual pages, but currently no 'man' program to read them?

- looking further ahead; has there been any thoughts towards a staticallylinked/musl-based X11 server? Is it feasible to simply take the xorg sources and compile those with static linking or does that not work (or would it be philosophically incompatible)? suckless obviously has some useful tools like 'st' and 'dmenu' ready to go once X11 is available. I ask because the finest browser ever written is obviously 'surf', but worryingly surf depends on webkitgtk; which depends on gtk; which in turn might lead back to glibc,glib etc.

- what's the relationship between 'stali' and the 'morpheus' project which I stumbled accross over at 2f30? Has one replaced the other? Are they developing in parallel?

This is a fun distribution - thanks for writing it, R.