Re: [dev] Patch naming on the wiki [corrected list]

From: Pickfire <pickfire_AT_riseup.net>
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2015 20:11:05 +0800

On Mon, Nov 09, 2015 at 12:43:01PM +0100, Markus Teich wrote:
>Jack L. Frost wrote:
>> Agreed that the way patches are being named right now is confusing. Dates
>> and/or refs in the name would be very much appreciated.
>
>Use shortrefs for the filename, but use dates on the wikipage or at least
>annotate the hyperlink with the date.
>
>Then you can quickly see how old a patch is and estimate how much work it would
>be to update it to the current HEAD. Also thanks to the shortref in the filename
>you can easily find the commit where it definitely worked to have a starting
>point for bisection if there are any problems after updating the patch to
>current HEAD.

Yeah, I think using the date format would raise many objects.

The shortref can check the date anyway. I think it is best that the
filename to be simple:

        dwm-abcde930-name.diff

And we put the date (and maybe size) after the file like this:

        dwm-abcde930-name.diff (20K) (2015-02-29)

Reasons not to use date: There can be several commits a day.

--
< Do what you like, like what you do. >