Re: [dev] c++ compiler that rocks

From: Mattias Andrée <maandree_AT_kth.se>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2015 10:05:54 +0100

On Mon, 30 Nov 2015 02:50:40 -0600
<xire.luetof_AT_gmail.com> wrote:

> Then fine, set the default as whatever width you like
> for symbol wrapping, but should that not be done
> client-side? For example, when quoting, won't the
> text be pushed out further than that hard-wrap limit?
>
> Presumably, prior to sending you are still using soft
> wrapping and then it adds the hard-wrapping after,
> correct? Otherwise you would need to manually
> rewrap when adding a word. Why not merely move
> this step to the receiver?

Normally, you would have live wrapping and not further
wrapping is done. But rewrapping manually when editing
is not really a problem. I do that almost daily when I
write documentation; it only takes two seconds.

The receiver does not always know how to wrap the best
way. Consider how it would look if send some code that
is wider than the recipients wrapping. Or how badly
a patch would be corrupted if wrapping is forced upon
it by the client, or the recipient simply does not
notice that it is wrapped and the wrapping feature
needs to be turned off. (Some people send patches as
part of the message rather than as an attachment.)

How you ever been displeased with anyone's choice of
wrapping column?