Re: [dev] [slock] won't lock if unclutter grabbed mouse pointer

From: Markus Teich <markus.teich_AT_stusta.mhn.de>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2016 19:40:06 +0100

Andreas Doll wrote:
> I've just tested with i3lock 2.6 (on Debian stable), which also returns after
> a short moment to the desktop without verification, complaining
>
> $ i3lock
> i3lock: Cannot grab pointer/keyboard

Heyho Andreas,

I assume this is the same issue for slock. From XGrabKeyboard(3):

> If the keyboard is actively grabbed by some other client, XGrabKeyboard fails
> and returns AlreadyGrabbed.

For screenlockers grabbing the keyboard is a must so no other client can
intercept the password when entered to unlock the screen. Users of `unclutter
-grab` could kill the unclutter process before running slock/i3lock and restart
it after the screen has been unlocked. For i3lock this is not so easy, since the
i3lock process daemonizes itself and returns immediately, so the naive `pkill
unclutter && i3lock && unclutter -grab` approach won't work.

> so the issue seems to be caused by unclutter. Hence maybe a manpage entry
> warning about that behaviour is sufficient. Do you agree, or are you still
> planning to fix this within slock?

I don't think it can be fixed in slock. I'm not sure, if we can "blame"
unclutter for the issue, but if we can, then the hint should go into their man
page or even better it should be fixed there.

--Markus