Re: [dev] [st] Argbbg patch makes window borders transparent

From: Eon S. Jeon <esjeon_AT_hyunmu.am>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2016 00:39:25 +0900

Hello, Andreas.

I'm the initial author of argbbg patch.

On Wed, Apr 06, 2016 at 12:35:33AM +0200, Andreas Doll wrote:
> I've noticed that after applying the argbbg patch to st, the window borders
> become transparent as well.

Yes, argbbg patch makes the borders transparent.

> Is this behaviour intended?

No, it' is *NOT* intended.

It happens because WMs paint borders with RGB colors, whose alpha values are
zero. So, in fact, borders are supposed to disappear completely, but for some
reason they are semi-transparent. I just checked that the same thing happens
to rxvt, and any ARGB-enabled windows might have the same symptom.

The solution to this problem is pretty simple: set alpha values of border
colors. It's quite straightforward in dwm (color->pix &= 0xFF000000), but I'm
not sure how the same thing can be done in Xmonad. You'll have to modify the
pixel value (32-bit, even though it's unsigned long) which is passed to
setWindowBorder.

Sincerely,
Eon