Re: [dev] Linux distros that don't suck too too much

From: Pickfire <pickfire_AT_riseup.net>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2016 22:47:51 +0800

On Thu, May 12, 2016 at 07:42:26AM -0700, Charlie Kester wrote:
>On Wed 11 May 2016 at 17:33:41 PDT hiro wrote:
>>let's maintain a list of of requirements a distro should fulfill.
>>perhaps we can make a nice table afterwards and see which OS fits
>>these requirements out of the box.
>>i'll start with this. convince me otherwise.
>>
>>1. package system: packages having few, sane dependencies (early
>>tinycorelinux was excellent in this regard)
>
>Package systems are both a symptom and a cause of bloat. They only
>exist because most software, along with its metastasizing dependencies,
>is a pain in the ass to compile.
>
>The correct solution isn't hiding those problems with a package
>manager, but to avoid those dependencies and the bloat in
>individual programs by following suckless principles in the first place.
>
>The ideal distro could get by with a ports system like in the BSDs or
>Gentoo. (Which isn't to say those existing systems couldn't be
>improved.)

Gentoo might be helpful in some situation but not most of the time.

A ports like system won't be very helpful most of the time, what about a
low end device like raspberry pi, have you ever thought of that?

I don't think that buying a better computer for the sake of being more
suckless is even suckless, not everyone is that luxurious.

--
< Do what you like, like what you do. >