Re: [dev] Linux distros that don't suck too too much

From: hiro <23hiro_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2016 17:45:43 +0200

> Package systems are both a symptom and a cause of bloat. They only
> exist because most software, along with its metastasizing dependencies,
> is a pain in the ass to compile.

Actually compiling software the right way, without many dependencies
is quite an art these days, so yes, i want to share the results of my
buiding process with others. Many shitty software I'm required to use
doesn't suddenly get less complex just because you like suckless
software.

> The correct solution isn't hiding those problems with a package
> manager, but to avoid those dependencies and the bloat in
> individual programs by following suckless principles in the first place.

Yes, it's too late for that, shitty software already exists and I have
to use it. Now.

> The ideal distro could get by with a ports system like in the BSDs or
> Gentoo. (Which isn't to say those existing systems couldn't be
> improved.)

Now you're suddenly saying packages are ok?