Re: [dev] which versions are dwm patches intended to apply to cleanly?

From: Britton Kerin <britton.kerin_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2016 12:06:31 -0800

On Wed, Jun 29, 2016 at 3:23 PM, Eric Pruitt <eric.pruitt_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 29, 2016 at 01:54:13PM -0800, Britton Kerin wrote:
>> I'm not going to try to fix patches I don't use myself, it's possible
>> to screw up and testing is a hassle since it involves the wm.
>
> I wonder what the odds are of a patch applying cleanly, compilation of
> of dwm succeeding but actually breaking dwm in the process. I'm thinking

It's likely to fail if a referenced state variable has got a new interpretation,
or acquired an interface that you're supposed to use. So probably it
would be ok for most suckless stuff. I'd still like to see such things marked
in some way, since they're in a somewhat different class than a diff the
creator has tested against the target version.

Britton