Re: [dev] which versions are dwm patches intended to apply to cleanly?

From: FRIGN <dev_AT_frign.de>
Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2016 05:39:46 +0200

On Fri, 1 Jul 2016 14:49:34 -0700
Ben Woolley <tautolog_AT_gmail.com> wrote:

Hey Ben,

> Late reply to this, but I favor the git branch approach as you suggest.
> It is already a dependency, so why not use it for its intended purpose?
>
> The great thing about a branch is that it is easy to use the version the
> patch is for, and update as desired. The tools to manage the use cases
> around a patch are already built into git.
>
> Remember, git was originally created to solve the problem of concurrently
> managing many large patch sets from distributed sources. Isn't that the
> problem here?

it's always the same thing here. People propose things that are very
complex solutions for simple problems, and they end up being accepted
due to negligience. However, only a few people actually maintain the
patches in the long run, which is a shame.

The dwm patch section just needs an overhaul analogous to the st
patch section had. End of story.

It's already difficult enough getting people to maintain their
patches now, let alone in some git environment.

Cheers

FRIGN

--
FRIGN <dev_AT_frign.de>