Re: [dev] [sxiv] Discussion

From: Silvan Jegen <s.jegen_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2016 18:36:34 +0200

On Tue, Aug 09, 2016 at 06:09:44PM +0200, Bert Münnich wrote:
> On 09.08.16, FRIGN wrote:
> > don't take it personally, Bert, but I don't think your project sxiv[0]
> > belongs to the suckless git-repository.
> > [...]
> > Do we really need a project the size of dwm to display images?
> > [...]
> > What do you think?
>
> I was asked for sxiv becoming an official suckless project. I had
> nothing against that move. And I have nothing against reversing it.

I had never heard of "sxiv" and just learned about it throught this mail
thread. I like it!

Personally, I would opt for taking out the thumbnail view and maybe
try to get rid of the font handling (if possible; maybe just use a key
press to write the file name to stdout?) to reduce the dependencies
somewhat.

Of course one could get rid of all the image format dependencies and
use only farbfeld, if one finds someone willing to write/debug farbfeld
converters for all image formats so that sxiv would only have to speak
farbfeld.

But talk is cheap and I am lazy... so thanks for sxiv! :)