Re: [dev] [sxiv] Discussion

From: FRIGN <dev_AT_frign.de>
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2016 22:06:20 +0200

On Tue, 9 Aug 2016 21:51:54 +0200
Silvan Jegen <s.jegen_AT_gmail.com> wrote:

> I see. That use case may make it harder to use farbfeld unless you
> want to change your whole image collection to this format.
> Theoretically, you could just use farbfeld as the intermediate image
> format to apply the changes to and then convert the changed image
> back to the original format.

You could definitely use bzipped farbfeld as a storage format, but this
is not what it is meant for. In the end it simplifies the program so
that it only has to deal with farbfeld data instead of dozens of image
formats.
The conversion can happen in-situ and is generally no problem, as any
image viewer program has to do that anyway to get the raw "bits". The
overhead of first writing those bits into a farbfeld stream is pretty
minimal.

Cheers

FRIGN

--