Re: [dev] What do you guys think about competitive programming?

From: Mattias Andrée <maandree_AT_kth.se>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2016 21:58:23 +0200

Programming contests can be fun, but it depends on the
competition, some barely have a focus on programming
but mathematics instead. I don't see them as promoting
bad practices, you are under extraordinary pressure so
this should not influence your programming practices
under normal conditions. I don't think the skills, that
are generally useful for programming contests, are
generally useful in other contexts. I hope recruiters
realise the differences in programming competitions and
what the employee will be doing, but that has merits
similar to any other contests, mathematics skills, and
other problem solving skills such as solving puzzles.
It shows competitive attitude and cognitive capabilities.