[dev] Re: [dwm] Crash when setting window title to a single emoji

From: Markus Unterwaditzer <markus_AT_unterwaditzer.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2016 21:01:46 +0200

Hello Martin,

I'm replying to you this way because I've subscribed without recieving emails
(dev+subscribe-nomail). I assumed people would auto-CC me on replies. Anyway,
I'm now fully subscribed.

> Do you have an explicit UTF-8 locale and generated it as per wiki instructions?

I'm assuming you mean the Arch Wiki. I have `LANG=en_US.UTF-8` in my
locale.conf, uncommented the relevant parts in /etc/locale.gen and of course
generated the locale file. I don't have any `LC_*` variables set, even though I
don't believe that those are necessary, I did try setting `LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8`
as well.

    $ locale -a
    en_US
    en_US.iso88591
    en_US.utf8
    POSIX

    $ localectl
    System Locale: LANG=en_US.UTF-8
       VC Keymap: de-latin1
      X11 Layout: n/a

I also don't have any issues with other unicode symbols (including emojis) in
any other program. Only this one in particular doesn't work.

> Urm, this page works very well for me on arch+dwm.

The page itself is not the problem, the window title is. Does your browser set
its window title to contain the page title?

> Do you have patches applied?

I've tried with and without patches.

> What font is your config.h set to?

I've already elaborated that in the OP, I have tried Terminus, Source Code Pro
and Droid Sans.

-- Markus