Re: [dev] several questions

From: Ivan Tham <pickfire_AT_riseup.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2016 15:02:00 +0800

Hi, Stephen.

On Tue, Sep 20, 2016 at 04:32:18PM -0400, stephen Turner wrote:
> Bash and Make, I'm looking for compatible replacements for these. As i
> currently understand it bash at the least is expected to compile the linux
> kernel. Is there any suitable projects that you may have seen around the
> net or considered a bash rewrite? I see you recommend mksh and dash but
> neither have bashisms that some projects seem to expect.

For me, I think bach it very much bloated. I would definitely agree that
mksh or dash is a lot better. Well about rc, I wouldn't recommend that
since it's a total different syntax compared to POSIX shell, although
posix shell definitely have some weaknesses, it's still more portable.

And about make, I would recommend make, I didn't check the source code
for both make and mk but I did some benchmark back then, make is still
the fastest build system that I have tested and it have a clean but
weird syntax. But just beware of autotools and autoconf.

> I love the site and the list of tools you have found to "suck less" looking
> great!

Nice, hope you could help us out starting with some of the project
ideas. http://suckless.org/project_ideas

--
Do what you like, like what you do.  -- Pickfire