Re: [dev] containers opinion

From: Daniel Abrecht <dev-suckless.org_AT_danielabrecht.ch>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2016 19:24:07 +0000

I am new here. I am using devuan + libvirt + lxc containers. I think in
terms of security, it's less secure than a VM, since it shares the
kernel & resources with the host system. But I think it's easier to
backup & update containers. I like that I can just copy a container to
another computer, and only need to set it up once. Also, if I update one
container, it can't break the other containers. Also, each of my
Container contains devuan and has its own network interfaces, it's like
having many different and complete servers with own IPs, hostnames,
etc., but without many expensive computers or crazy amounts of ram for
VMs. However, I always have a physical second fallback & backup systems
if the first one fails, because a single computer is still a single
point of failure.

Since I use containers as if they where normal computers, I don't see
why I need to be able to control the services from the host system, I
just ssh to the container if I need to restart a service. I think if I
just want to isolate a single service, I would just use a simple chroot.
I don't think an container is much more secure than a chroot.