Re: [dev] Just discovered dwm

From: stephen Turner <stephen.n.turner_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2016 13:36:35 -0400

On Wed, Sep 28, 2016 at 4:34 PM, Hannes Blut <cxblut_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> On 22.09.16 at 03:42pm, stephen Turner wrote:
>>
>> I liked the old debian floppy net install, 75 mb base cli only image.
>> apt get your way to happiness. It didn't fit with the suckless as they
>> did a lot to their system but it wasn't ubuntu. These days you can't
>> even install a Cli for less than 100+ mb. i really don't understand
>> what they are feeding these programs.
>

> The ubuntu netboot image has an initrd around 75mb...

While that may be true my understanding is that its still very bloated
and overrated and now they have systemd. I tried a bsd, and arch
linux, both needed frequent file system repairs. Debian tends to be
fairly stable but i haven't been happy with them in a while and can't
quite put my finger on any particular reason. Ubuntu has worked in the
past for a quick unix fix but not a system i would want to keep around
for the long haul.

At this point i am looking at sbase, ubase, sinit, linux kernel and a
few other necessary oddities for a full command line like maybe
libressl for https support. looking at some forums for the minimal
xorg install with dwm maybe and giving st a shot for a term.

what do you guys do for wget like functionality? opt for curl? I was a
little surprised you didnt have a sget or the like.