Re: [dev] [discussion] editors

From: Joseph Graham <joseph_AT_xylon.me.uk>
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2016 20:57:57 +0100

On Wed, Oct 05, 2016 at 08:16:21PM +0100, Cág wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I have been a long-time user of vi-like editors.
> Started with vim+tmux and nerdtree, then threw away tmux
> and nerdtree, then I understood that I don't need syntax
> highlighting and moved to nvi. Now I think line numbers
> are not necessary, too. And sometimes I even write code
> in ed, though mostly for fun.
>
> So, which editor do you use and what features do you need,
> if any?

Hi!

I am quite strange because I use both VIM and GNU Emacs. Emacs for programming
and VIM for general use (such as typing this email, editing config files).

I think Emacs is better overall, but it's just too bloated and slow for normal
use. And it's really embarrasing when I install it on Debian and it drags in 250MB
of deps.

VIM is really hard to use which makes it prestigious. Emacs is not much harder
to use than nano.

I personally find syntax highlighting usefull when programming.

-Joseph