Re: [dev] Collecting sins of Apple

From: Anselm R Garbe <garbeam_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2016 22:21:24 +0200

Hi Luk,

On 21 October 2016 at 21:54, lukáš Hozda <luk.hozda_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> I am not very familiar with the usage of mailing lists and unsure
> whether this is the right place to post this request, but just like
> the title says, I am collecting the sins of Apple. I will be having a
> speech/presentation on problems of Apple the next week at my school
> where I plan to talk about the wrongs against people and sane software
> Apple has on account.

Apple has transformed from a rather "alternative pre-hipster" supplier
into a so-called "premium" eco-system definer. If a customer buys
hardware products from Apple, he becomes pretty much locked into the
Apple eco-system.

I consider this "forcing in" of customers into the Apple-monoculture
as the worst aspect of Apple. In the past it was excusable, because
one needed a PC for serious work anyways and Apple hardware and
software was just some odd pre-hipster tool with limited
functionality. Nowadays it has turned into a seriously locked up
eco-system that appears to me worse than Microsofts PC dominance
during the 90s and early 2000s. People who use Apple products barely
escape from them, because they have invested a lot of money into the
associated eco-system in the form of app/itunes purchases and other
subscriptions.

Corporate eco-systems means no freedom of choice to the customer.

Speaking from FLOSS perspective, I don't think that Apple is worse or
better than all the other IT corps that do some FLOSS contributions.
Though, Apple's business model clearly is not based on open source, it
is rather based on closed hardware and source. But the same applies
for most other IT corps as well. In terms of software quality it
depends on what you look at that Apple has contributed. Most of it is
rather mediocre and hence I would consider that Apple's closed source
and hardware design assets aren't any better than average.

Best regards,
Anselm