Re: [dev] [surf] Webkit2 with proxy server

From: Sylvain BERTRAND <sylvain.bertrand_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2016 19:55:16 +0100

On Sun, Dec 18, 2016 at 04:15:10PM +0100, Laslo Hunhold wrote:
> However, we still have bootstrapping, so gcc might as well be written in
> Brainfuck. As long as you can bootstrap it, everything is alright.

You cannot bootstrap with C in a reasonable way.

For instance you want to compile that pile of cra* which is llvm (those _amazing_
coders got it wrong right at the start, LOL) for GPU shader support. It's advanced
c++ and it does not compile with gcc 4.7.4, the last C bootstrapable compiler.
It means you have to compile first c++ gcc 4.7.4 in order to compile c++ gcc 6.0.2,
that to compile llvm.

I acquired a raspberry pi 3... armv8/64bits... I was happy and about to
configure a minimal server... till I found out that gcc armv8 backend (aarch64)
is *NOT* in gcc 4.7.4....
So in order to bootstrap from a C compiler linux for armv8, I must compile c++ gcc
4.7.4 on x86/x86_64 in order to compile a cross 6.0.2 C gcc compiler for armv8. WOW!

Back on llvm: you are supposed to need "only" a c++98 compiler/runtime to build
llvm... and gcc 4.7.4 pretends to be c++98 clean... of course since llvm is
pushing hard on c++, you run into c++98 front-end gcc 4.7.4 bugs... fixed in
the _first_ c++98 gcc, namely gcc 4.8.0.

Those c++ coders are just fu**ing the open source software stack and are a
bunch of retarded sickoz thinking they are smart.

And writting a C compiler won't really help: modern c++ compiles only with c++.
Don't tell me to compile gcc 4.7.4, look at this bloody mess.

The only way out from this sabotage would to port all c++ written critical software
in simple C. For a lambda end-user system, you can just forget it:
 - libreoffice
 - llvm
 - blink/webkit/cef | gecko
 - harfbuzz
Most of them are massive. Maybe writting a modern c++ in simple C in order to
break the vicious cycle? A modern c++ compiler/runtime is just insanity and
ultra hard to get right (have a look at the c++ ABI to have a good laught).

I can hear people LOLing in microsoft and apple.
All this is becoming a joke, a real fu**ing joke.

--
Sylvain