Re: [dev] [announce] ff2sixel: view farbfeld images in terminal

From: Alexander Krotov <ilabdsf_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2017 08:59:12 +0300

On Tue, Mar 21, 2017 at 02:01:16AM +0100, hiro wrote:
> I'm not at all saying that sixel is a hack, I'm just saying it's
> useless. it doesn't solve any important problem in a generic enough
> way.
> drawterm is not just a "graphical terminal", it's more more comparable
> to remote X11, remote framebuffer, VNC, all of which are rather
> generic solutions to display anything, not just terminals or images.

Depends on how you define a "graphical terminal". There is such a
thing as X terminal [1] and I would classify modern RFB-based "thin
clients" as graphical terminals as well. Even drawterm authors called
it draw*term*.

> it's not impossible to sync the wd on both sides, even though I
> wouldn't personally want such a system. you might be able to figure
> out a better way to explore your remote system. the possibilities are
> endless.

Besides cwd one might also want to pass environment variables and
things like that to graphical programs. In Plan 9 processes pass
the whole namespace to child and it just naturally includes draw
device. In unix the closest thing you can probably get is X11
forwarding over SSH, but due to its ad-hoc design it is insecure.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X_terminal