Re: [dev] [announce] ff2sixel: view farbfeld images in terminal

From: Leander S. Harding <lsh_AT_lsh.io>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2017 14:13:51 -0700

This conversation comes around periodically, and the thing no-one ever
seems to mention is: now these images are in your scrollback and as
you scroll through what you're doing, you seem them instead of just
the reference beginning 'feh ...'. This is really useful if you use
scrollback Matlab-style as a sort of externalized medium-term memory
like I do.

That doesn't mean I think st should become Terminology, mind, but
there *is* a use-case here.

Now, while we're dreaming, what'd *really* be useful is a Matlab-style
'ans' function that pipes out the result of the nth-last command's
stdout/err. ! and friends aren't suitable because the output might be
different on re-run - I'm talking about grabbing what got written to
the terminal since the last shell prompt.

Should be pretty easy to implement with something like dvtm's select pipe.

-Leander