[dev] Font problems in st, dwm, dmenu

From: <cinder88_AT_hushmail.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2017 07:52:28 -0400

Hello, all. This is my first post on the mailing list, so I'd like to say thank you for the excellent software.

Now, I'm having problems getting st, dwm, and dmenu to render fonts. Specifically, I am trying to
use terminus fonts, which I have used with suckless software for years. On my new machine,
though, these fonts (and all other fonts) dont render well. Instead, some default font is displayed
with spacing/kerning messed up so that letters overlap one another.

About my setup:

I'm using 64 bit Gentoo linux with systemd.

Terminus fonts are installed in /usr/share/fonts/terminus

The fonts are known to fontconfig, as the following is in /etc/fonts/local.conf:
<fontconfig>
        <dir>/usr/share/fonts/terminus/</dir>
</fontconfig>

The fonts have been added to the X11 font path by placing the following in a file
in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d:
Section "Files"
    FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/terminus"
EndSection

The terminus fonts show and render correctly in xfontsel.

The terminus fonts render correctly in urxvt by adding the following to .Xresources:
URxvt*font: -*-terminus-medium-*-*-*-*-200-*-*-*-*-*-*

The terminus fonts also render correctly in i3, which I am using because of these problems.
Although the fonts still don't render correctly in dmenu when using i3.

One hint: Changing the size of the font in st _does_ change the size of the messed up
font which displays.

At this point I'm stuck. Any ideas? Thanks.