Re: [dev] Font problems in st, dwm, dmenu

From: Patrick Bucher <patrick.bucher_AT_mailbox.org>
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2017 09:55:47 +0200

On Fri, Jun 23, 2017 at 07:52:28AM -0400, cinder88_AT_hushmail.com wrote:
> Now, I'm having problems getting st, dwm, and dmenu to render fonts. Specifically, I am trying to
> use terminus fonts, which I have used with suckless software for years. On my new machine,
> though, these fonts (and all other fonts) dont render well. Instead, some default font is displayed
> with spacing/kerning messed up so that letters overlap one another.

I had a similar problem, but was able to fix it with the following
configuration:

char font[] = "xos4 Terminus:pixelsize=16:antialias=true:autohint=true:lang=ru";

The important part is to use "xos4 Terminus" instead of just "Terminus".
It's related to a fontconfig update a couple of months ago. Maybe that's
your problem.

Patrick