Re: [dev] Some suckless hackathon 2017 preparation

From: Silvan Jegen <s.jegen_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2017 16:21:42 +0200

Hi Anselm

On Sun, Jul 23, 2017 at 03:30:05PM +0200, Anselm R Garbe wrote:
> Second, one goal of the slackathon is also to streamline the project
> landscape of suckless.org, which also means we should presumably
> define 3-4 clusters that will be addressed during the event and
> identify all areas that are well established and don't need much care
> during the slackathon. In particular I would see the following
> clusters:
>
> i) improvements to suckless.org and our general project setup (switch
> to quark, stagit, static swerc, git://, streamline all projects, drop
> drop-candidates, etc)
> ii) improvements to the system tool landscape with a focus on probably
> the static-izing ld wrapper (stali, 9base, sbase, ubase)
> iii) focus on totally new stuff like the issue tracking, Silvans
> patchwork idea or mail archiver
> iv) looking into wayland adoption or similar of our UI focused tools
> as a rapid prototype

Then I it may make more sense to allocate our time based on the four clusters
instead of the individual projects I suggested.

The mapping from the in-scope projects/ideas to the clusters looks
something like this.

Cluster i)

* drop sandy
* quark
* swerc

Cluster ii)

* Write ld wrapper or replacement for static linking
* stali
* 9base
* nldev
* sbase
* sdhcp
* sinit
* smdev
* ubase

Cluster iii)

* Write a decent bug and issue tracking system
* Write a decent mailing list Web archive system
* Write a patchwork alternative?

Cluster iv)

* Wayland dwm prototype?
* Wayland sent prototype?
* Wayland surf prototype?
* Suckless Wayland client library prototype?
* ?

> Personally I tend towards the clusters i) (50%) and iv) (40%) to spend
> time on, and perhaps providing some guidance on the ld-wrapper idea
> (10%).

Since I am interested in stali and the core tools I will go for cluster
ii). Both cluster iii) and iv) are very interesting to me as well so I
can allocate time there as well if needed.

For cluster iii) and iv) it would be good to to have more concrete ideas and
goals until the hackathon starts.

Cheers,

Silvan