Re: [dev] Some suckless hackathon 2017 preparation

From: Laslo Hunhold <dev_AT_frign.de>
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2017 15:57:42 +0200

On Sun, 23 Jul 2017 15:30:05 +0200
Anselm R Garbe <garbeam_AT_gmail.com> wrote:

Hey Anselm,

> Second, one goal of the slackathon is also to streamline the project
> landscape of suckless.org, which also means we should presumably
> define 3-4 clusters that will be addressed during the event and
> identify all areas that are well established and don't need much care
> during the slackathon. In particular I would see the following
> clusters:
>
> i) improvements to suckless.org and our general project setup (switch
> to quark, stagit, static swerc, git://, streamline all projects, drop
> drop-candidates, etc)

it is a good setting to discuss this there. There are quite a few
projects and pages on the website with questionable properties.

> iii) focus on totally new stuff like the issue tracking, Silvans
> patchwork idea or mail archiver
> iv) looking into wayland adoption or similar of our UI focused tools
> as a rapid prototype

I would favor iv) here. I've already set up a rapid prototype for this
matter and worked out some ideas that can help us moving into this
direction.

> Out-of-scope ideas:
>
> > * Suckless font rendering library
> > * Improve sltar
> > * Write cookie handler for surf
> > * Gopher services
> > * A sane backend for surf
> > * A VGA/DVI/Displayport-to-TTY cable

Yes, sltar should be removed anyway. The tar in sbase has many
improvements over it and sltar has some pretty dangerous bugs.
Don't we already even have origin-respecting cookie handling in surf?
In general, all things surf are too tough for one weekend.

As much as I'd love to see a greater adoption, I must admit that in my
humble opinion Gopher is dead. Even if we served suckless.org with
Gopher, it would not change this fact and would just be a waste of time
spent more productively on other things.
However, if there is a trivial solution to serve suckless.org as a
gopher service (as we can see e.g. with stagit-gopher), I have no
objections to do so.

The "A VGA/DVI/Displayport-to-TTY cable" is a joke.

> Out-of-scope projects:
>
> > * blind
> > * dwm
> > * st
> > * surf
> > * dmenu
> > * farbfeld
> > * ii
> > * sent
> > * slock
> > * tabbed
> > * lsw
> > * sprop
> > * sselp
> > * swarp
> > * wmname
> > * xssstate
> > * libzahl
> > * svkbd
> > * vis?
> > * svc
> > * morpheus init scripts
> > * oasis? [0]

Agreed, under above points.

> In-scope projects
>
> > * 9base
> > * nldev
> > * sbase
> > * sdhcp
> > * sinit
> > * smdev
> > * stali
> > * ubase
> > * quark
> > * swerc

I think I'll plan to work on quark, the website, and show you what I've
already sketched up w.r.t. the GUI stuff.

> Potential drop candidates:
>
> > * sandy

Let me add 2wm, dmc, dws, sltar. We might also think about moving all
those little X-utilities into one repo.

> Personally I tend towards the clusters i) (50%) and iv) (40%) to spend
> time on, and perhaps providing some guidance on the ld-wrapper idea
> (10%).

Yes, that sounds like a great idea. I won't be able to help with the
ld-wrapper, but as we can already see, there's enough work to fill an
entire fortnight.

With best regards

Laslo Hunhold

--