Re: [dev] Some suckless hackathon 2017 preparation

From: Hiltjo Posthuma <hiltjo_AT_codemadness.org>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2017 18:26:57 +0200

On Sun, Jul 23, 2017 at 03:57:42PM +0200, Laslo Hunhold wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Jul 2017 15:30:05 +0200
> Anselm R Garbe <garbeam_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hey Anselm,
>
> > Second, one goal of the slackathon is also to streamline the project
> > landscape of suckless.org, which also means we should presumably
> > define 3-4 clusters that will be addressed during the event and
> > identify all areas that are well established and don't need much care
> > during the slackathon. In particular I would see the following
> > clusters:
> >
> > i) improvements to suckless.org and our general project setup (switch
> > to quark, stagit, static swerc, git://, streamline all projects, drop
> > drop-candidates, etc)

The stagit hook and additional scripts are almost finished.

> it is a good setting to discuss this there. There are quite a few
> projects and pages on the website with questionable properties.
>
> > iii) focus on totally new stuff like the issue tracking, Silvans
> > patchwork idea or mail archiver

I don't think we should use an issue tracker. I can see there will be
endless useless bug reports with fontconfig issues already. Instead
user expectations should be changed.

> Yes, sltar should be removed anyway. The tar in sbase has many
> improvements over it and sltar has some pretty dangerous bugs.

I agree.

> As much as I'd love to see a greater adoption, I must admit that in my
> humble opinion Gopher is dead. Even if we served suckless.org with

The web is dead.

> Gopher, it would not change this fact and would just be a waste of time
> spent more productively on other things.

You forget one important aspect of hacking: fun.

> However, if there is a trivial solution to serve suckless.org as a
> gopher service (as we can see e.g. with stagit-gopher), I have no
> objections to do so.

Gopher won't work 1:1 for the www pages, but can work for git.suckless.org

> I think I'll plan to work on quark, the website, and show you what I've
> already sketched up w.r.t. the GUI stuff.
>
> > Potential drop candidates:
> >
> > > * sandy
>
> Let me add 2wm, dmc, dws, sltar. We might also think about moving all
> those little X-utilities into one repo.
>
> > Personally I tend towards the clusters i) (50%) and iv) (40%) to spend
> > time on, and perhaps providing some guidance on the ld-wrapper idea
> > (10%).
>
> Yes, that sounds like a great idea. I won't be able to help with the
> ld-wrapper, but as we can already see, there's enough work to fill an
> entire fortnight.

I'll be on IRC. Some ideas I'm interested in atm:

- random bugfixes.
- quark
- stagit/git repos.
- surf adblock plugin (WIP).