Re: [dev] less(1) replacement?

From: Anselm R Garbe <garbeam_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2017 15:13:05 +0200

On 26 August 2017 at 23:59, isabella parakiss <izaberina_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/26/17, Anselm R Garbe <garbeam_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 26 August 2017 at 13:05, isabella parakiss <izaberina_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
>>> i wrote a simple pager in ~100 lines
>>> https://github.com/izabera/bashutils/blob/master/pager
>>>
>>> inb4 it sucks because it's bash code
>>
>> Tbh, it looks hideous. Why on earth are you using bash?
>
> https://i.imgur.com/79U7mcO.png
> side by side screenshot against less
> your face looks hideous

That doesn't answer my question why you are using bash?

Regardless what you want to solve, bash is one of the worst options to
consider. There is no non-hideous kind of bash scripts once you start
using bashisms. If you'd stick to some kind of half decent bourne
shell level, then things might be excusable. But bash is out of any
discussion -- it's like suggesting to use Visual Basic for server
implementations.

BR,
Anselm