Re: [dev] Privilege escalation on remote hosts. MANY remote hosts.

From: <sylvain.bertrand_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2017 23:51:04 +0000

On Fri, Sep 22, 2017 at 02:25:54PM +0200, Laslo Hunhold wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Sep 2017 06:00:51 +0000
> sylvain.bertrand_AT_gmail.com wrote:
>
> Hey Sylvain,
>
> > go is not suckless.
> >
> > Should have written your PoC using simple C.
>
> what are you talking about? Go is an adequate language for certain
> higher-level-applications.
> The only beef I have about it is the large binary size, but apart from
> that it has some very nice ideas it brings to the table (static linking
> by default, go.fmt, nice string handling).

This topic was discussed earlier: no, go is not worth it. It's really a bad
compromise against simple and explicit C. Wrong again: simple and explicit C is
enough for high-level-applications, even for the web (noscript of course).
Don't recall if go has mandatory/default garbage collecting runtime.

It's a worthless dependency of a high technical cost.

It has nothing to do on suckless.

----
But for _not suckless_ project, I would prefer a javascript interpreter coded
with rust, which is much much more adapted to answer the issues raised by the
thread starting questions (better security).
Additionaly, I was told, personally did not check, that the generic algorithms
from the c++ boost library applied to the later string classes and templates
are so much well balanced than go string handling (and rust handling too),
really do check this.
But what seems trendy, is to write code generators in python2 (not 3 since it's
less good than its previous version) and perl5 (important to have both) which
fit closely the client requirements.
Or the ultimate, just above the previous "super adequate" code generators for
all the reasons of the world : you write a llvm front-end for an homebrew
language 100% designed for the client requirements.
----
What is amazing, is that the mailing list is still the target of people 100%
missing the point of suckless.
It does look too much like a troll, won't add more.
--
Sylvain