Re: [dev] [quark] Use list for "index of" listing?

From: Laslo Hunhold <dev_AT_frign.de>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2018 12:01:54 +0100

On Thu, 15 Feb 2018 09:45:03 -0300
Draco Metallium(Rodrigo S. CaƱibano) <draco.kun_AT_gmail.com> wrote:

Dear Draco,

> I was using quark and notice that the generated "index of" uses
> `<br />` line breaks to separate the links. Given that "index of X"is
> a list of links, shouldn't it use a unordered list? Is there a reason
> why it uses line breaks?

you are right, an unordered list would better fit the semantic
HTML-purpose. However, there's no advantage to it here. If you open the
index in links, the current approach even looks better. A problem is
the fact that it adds a dot before each entry, which I really do not
like.

The purpose of semantic HTML is to make the site easier to crawl and
discern content. If the whole site is just a list, without any other
elements, there's no need to make a semantic distinction. Even a blind
person with a screenreader would have an easier time with the current
approach, as they would first be read the title "Index of..." knowing
it's a listing and then immediately can scroll through each link. With
an unordered list, they would first hear "Index of..." then get
"unordered list. Enter unordered list?" and then get the items. It
would not be beneficial in any way other than the abstract idea of
semanticness, which is not senseful here.

> If you consider that this should be the case, i have attached a patch.
> If not, I would l love to know why.

Thanks anyway for thinking about it and making the patch! :)

With best regards

Laslo Hunhold

--
Laslo Hunhold <dev_AT_frign.de>