Re: [dev] [bc]

From: Laslo Hunhold <dev_AT_frign.de>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2018 20:36:52 +0100

On Tue, 13 Mar 2018 12:30:40 -0600
Gavin Howard <gavin.d.howard_AT_gmail.com> wrote:

Hey Gavin,

> I was told that I should submit submit a link to my bc on this mailing
> list. It's in alpha stage.

based on the first look, it looks good. However, there are multiple
things I have an issue with:

 - GNU extensions: This is a big no-no for me, as the entire point of
   sbase is to encourage standards-conformant behaviour. Most
   GNU-extensions are honestly rooted in a fundamental misunderstanding
   or lack of experience with tools, where one tool is extended to do
   the job of another tool.
 - Coding style: The Makefile uses GNU-extensions and the code itself
   lacks comments and proper indents (2-space-indents, seriously?).
 - Point: In general I don't see the point of implementing bc directly,
   given you can implement it as a dc script. Why don't you strip your
   codebase down, write a simple rpn-parser and use your general
   arithmetic to build something nice out of it? :) This way, you can
   also solve two problems at the same time (implementing dc(1) and
   bc(1) simultaneously).

With best regards

Laslo Hunhold

--