[dev] What would a well-designed voice assistant program look like?

From: LM <lmemsm_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2018 08:33:07 -0400

Was at a conference where they were discussing the new voice assistant
applications from large corporations like Amazon and Google. I began
thinking there had to be some Open Source alternatives available. I
found several projects such as the ones listed below. However, most
of the Open Source projects I found were written in Python or
JavaScript or Lua with a few C and/or C++ libraries thrown in for good
measure.

So what would a voice assistant program using suckless.org style
principles look like? Would love to hear some opinions. Are there
any projects out there trying to implement one or any interest in
doing so?

A few things I'd personally like to see in such a project are as follows:
Written primarily in C for easy portability and efficiency.
When possible, made up of simple components (libraries, programs,
etc.) that do one thing well.
Can be built from source by one person. (Meaning you don't need to
rely on a bunch of precompiled libraries from another source just to
get it to build.)
Should have the option to be able to use it without Internet
connection if there are privacy or connectivity concerns.

So, what would you like to see in such a project? Are there any C
libraries (maybe libraries such as flite or espeak or espeak-ng) that
you think would be helpful for creating an application like this?

What be interested to hear others thoughts on the subject. Thank you.

List of some Open Source voice assistant projects:
http://openassistant.org/tools/
https://github.com/MycroftAI
https://github.com/claritylab/lucida
https://jasperproject.github.io/
http://www.theadrianproject.com/
The FSF mentions this as one of their priorities for Free Software
development and gives some information at:
https://www.fsf.org/campaigns/priority-projects/personalassistant

Sincerely,
Laura