Re: [dev] suckless dns over http client

From: Laslo Hunhold <dev_AT_frign.de>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2018 22:56:11 +0200

On Mon, 2 Apr 2018 15:31:20 -0400
Calvin Morrison <mutantturkey_AT_gmail.com> wrote:

Hey Calvin,

> In lieu of the recent 1.1.1.1 announcement, i was wondering if anyone
> has written a suckless, simple, dns over http relay? Maybe it would be
> a good thing to add to the wiki as potential ideas? The basic concept
> of the tool would be to run as a daemon, listen on port 53 to
> requests, and then make https requests and relay the information back
> to the client.

implementing something like this would be really cool, however there is
one big blocker to this[0, Page 9]:

   "The minimum version of HTTP used by DOH SHOULD be HTTP/2 [RFC7540]."

Given these circumstances, I see no elegant way to implement this in a
suckless way given HTTP/2 requires the server to do some pretty complex
connection-state-handling.

I have no idea why these guys were so keen to declare HTTP 1.1 dead so
fast.

With best regards

Laslo Hunhold

[0]:https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-doh-dns-over-https-04