Re: [dev] freetype2/fc pain

From: <sylvain.bertrand_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2018 15:52:19 +0000

On Tue, Sep 25, 2018 at 08:17:51PM +0600, Eon S. Jeon wrote:
> I use all of CJK and am not the only one who use non-Latin language in
> terminal. In the past, I too assumed I would use only English on terminal,
> but I cannot control what other people send to me. It is really stupid if I
> have to spin up xterm occasionally just to read those things.

st can display basic CJK glyphs. Just need the fonts.
I use google noto fonts, but you must remove the one related to color emojis or
st will crash if it attempts to display one.
In lynx or ncurses links, I have basic CJK glyphs displayed (actually way more,
thai...).
--------
Now I digress:
font complex rendering is not supported, since it would need the c++
abomination which is harfbuzz. I did a C implementation of its C interface
(optional in the EFL and freetype, but mandatory for GTK+) for basic rendering
and believe me, c++ is something which came from Hell (I am currently in llvm,
and... I did not believe some ppl could to worse than harbuzz with c++, but
this language allows unlimited perversion of the mind). The one and only
software component which is "generalizing" the rendering insanities of many
written, unicode supported, languages is harfbuzz.
A line is to be drawn here.

--
Sylvain